While floating around on Pinterest pondering what to do for this week’s project, I tried to think of something that would use supplies that I already have on hand. I stumbled upon this pin and decided that an instagram photo project it would be. People love instagram and utilize it for all kinds of fun and practical reasons, and I am a fellow addict. It showcases my absolute favorite kind of photography – the moments between the moments. The photos that are taken simply because an opportunity arises in the sky or your child’s play or the way the light is falling in your kitchen, not because you’re ready with a camera but simply because it’s happening and you noticed. That’s the good stuff. And I have hundreds to choose from :)
I ended up going with a magnet project, since I happen to have a “mag-a-net” loving four year old who I knew would appreciate the new vertical play materials. Since I was mostly working in the evening I didn’t take any good tutorial photos, but it was pretty basic so here’s a written description:
- First I learned how to make a contact sheet in Photoshop (thanks, Walt) and printed out photos sized to fit little one-inch thin pine squares from a craft store mix. I used plain white cardstock and a non-photo printer, and they turned out great (the larger test-prints are now taped all over Hazel’s bedroom door and inside the covers of my planner! Bonus!)
- Next I cut out each photo and used paper mod podge to affix the photos to the tiles. I let those dry for awhile, did one last trim of the paper where needed around the edges, then coated the tops thickly and completely and let them dry overnight.
- The next day I layered the tops with diamond glaze, which I llooooveeeee. With other projects I’d figured out to quickly glaze the border and then fill in the middle – this stuff is really viscous and not easy to work with unless you just dive in and go fast. By the time I had done the last one I was ready to go back down the line and use a pin to pop a few small air bubbles that floated up through the glaze.
- I let this cure for two days and then glued magnets onto the back. That’s it! It took a few days because so many steps needed to cure, but total crafting time was probably only an hour. Hazel is happy with them, and so am I :) I’m sure I will be making more batches of these, and they would make great gifts for a few of my fellow IG-people.
Don’t forget to check out these other 52-week-project-people:12 January, 2013
This entry was posted in 52 weeks project, Projects, Tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.
← 52 Weeks Project :: Week 1 52 Weeks Project :: Week 3 →